What are the different types of home insurance?

Most people know they need home insurance – but which policy? In this blog post, we’ll discuss the most common types of home insurance policies and what each one covers.

And to find home insurance at the best price, don’t forget to use SpotDif.

Why is home insurance important?

Home insurance is one of those things that you may not think about until you need it. But having a good home insurance policy can provide peace of mind in the event of an unforeseen disaster.

Depending on your policy, home insurance can help to protect your home and possessions from damage or loss due to fire, theft, vandalism, or other covered events. It can also provide liability coverage if someone is injured on your property. And if you need to temporarily relocate after a covered event, insurance can help to cover the cost of alternative housing.

In short, home insurance is a vital safeguard for homeowners. So be sure to get the right policy for your needs.

Different types of home insurance

So, what types are available, and who do they best suit?

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of a building, as well as any permanent fixtures and fittings. This can include the roof, walls, windows, and doors.

Most mortgage lenders require you to take out buildings insurance when you buy a property as it offers protection in the event of fire, flooding, or other damage.

In addition, landlords usually require tenants to take out buildings insurance to cover the property they are renting. If you are thinking of taking out buildings insurance, it is important to shop around and compare different policies to find the one that best suits your needs.

Contents insurance

Unlike buildings insurance, contents insurance covers items within a building.

Whether you’re a renter or a homeowner, contents insurance can provide peace of mind in knowing that your possessions are covered. It typically covers items such as furniture, electronics, clothing, and appliances.

It’s important to note that contents insurance does not cover structural elements of your home, such as walls and floors – for that, you need buildings insurance.

Contents insurance is optional. However, it can be a wise investment – especially if you have valuable possessions.

Combined buildings and contents insurance

Looking to cover both your building’s structure and your belongings within? You could benefit from a combined buildings and contents insurance policy.

A combined deal can often be cheaper than taking out separate buildings and contents insurance policies.

Landlords insurance

This form of insurance is specifically for people who rent out property. Landlords’ insurance typically covers things like damage to the property, loss of rent, and legal liability.

It can also provide protection in the event that a tenant causes damage to the property or injures someone while on the premises.

Landlords insurance is not required by law, but it is generally a good idea to have in case something happens.

Tenants insurance

If you’re renting rather than buying a property, you might want to consider taking out tenants’ insurance.

This type of policy helps protect renters from financial loss if their rental property is damaged or destroyed. It can also provide liability coverage if someone is injured on the property. It typically covers the cost of repairs or replacement of personal belongings, as well as medical expenses and legal fees incurred as a result of an accident on the property.

Specialist home insurance

Is your home unusual in some way? If so, you may need specialist home insurance. This type of insurance is designed for properties that have unique risks, such as listed buildings or buildings located in high-risk areas.

Specialist home insurance can cover damage from floods or subsidence, as well as provide cover for the contents of your home.

Find the best home insurance deal with SpotDif

With SpotDif, you can compare home insurance policies from a range of providers and find the best one for you. We compare hundreds of quotes so you can not only feel confident that your property is adequately covered but also know you’ve got the best price possible.

Start your search now to save money and protect your home.


Luke Sartain is a Specialist in Home & Business Services for Spotdif. He has a passion for finding the best business deals in the UK and helping people save money on their home services. Luke is also a creative writer, and he enjoys writing short stories in his spare time.

He’s also got a wealth of knowledge when it comes to home deals – so if you’re looking for a new property, or want to renovate your current one, Luke is your man! He’s also experienced in business services, so whatever you need help with, he’s your go-to guy.

He has a passion for finding the best business deals in the UK and helping homeowners get the best home deals. Luke is also a creative thinker, and he brings this creativity to his work with Spotdif, where he helps businesses find the best services at the best prices.


Luke Sartain

Specialist in Home & Business Services

Fact Checked

Our Feedback

Your SpotDif account