10 Biggest Issues Home Owners May Encounter this Winter
Winter is a tough season for houses. The cold weather, snow, and ice can take a toll on even the sturdiest of homes. As a homeowner, it’s important to be aware of the potential issues that your house may encounter this winter so that you can take steps to prevent them or address them quickly if they do occur. Here is a selection of issues that houses may encounter this winter:
- Frozen pipes: When water freezes, it expands. This can cause pipes to burst, which can lead to significant damage and costly repairs. To prevent this from happening, it’s important to keep your pipes warm by insulating them and allowing a steady trickle of water to flow through them when temperatures are expected to drop below freezing.
- Ice dams: When heat from inside your house escapes and melts the snow on your roof, the water can refreeze at the edge of the roof and form an ice dam. These dams can cause water to back up and leak into your house, causing damage to your walls, ceiling, and insulation. To prevent this, make sure your attic is properly insulated and ventilated, and consider hiring a professional to remove any existing ice dams.
- Snow and ice on the roof: Heavy snowfall can put a lot of weight on your roof, potentially causing it to collapse. If snow and ice accumulate on your roof, it’s important to remove them to prevent damage. This can be a dangerous job, so it’s best to hire a professional to do it for you.
- Draughty windows and doors: Cold air can sneak into your house through gaps and cracks around windows and doors. This can make your house feel colder and cause your heating bills to spike. To prevent this, make sure your windows and doors are properly sealed and consider adding weatherstripping, or upgrading to double or triple glazed windows.
- Boiler problems: Your boiler works hard to keep your house warm in the winter, so it’s not surprising that it can encounter faults and failures. Some common boiler issues include a faulty thermostat, a clogged air filter, or a malfunctioning blower. To prevent these issues, make sure to schedule regular maintenance for your furnace and change the air filter regularly.
- Carbon monoxide leaks: Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that can be deadly if inhaled. It’s produced by burning fuels such as gas, oil, and wood, and faulty appliances or inadequate ventilation can cause it to leak into your house. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure to install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your house and have your appliances inspected regularly.
- Water damage: Melting snow and ice can cause water to leak into your house, potentially damaging your walls, ceiling, and flooring. To prevent this, make sure your gutters are clear and in good working order, and consider installing a sump pump/dehumidifier to remove any excess water that may accumulate in your basement or crawl space.
- Pest infestations: Cold weather can drive mice, rats, and other pests into your house in search of warmth and food. These pests can cause damage to your house and carry diseases. To prevent an infestation, make sure to seal any gaps or cracks in your exterior walls and keep food stored in airtight containers.
- Slips and falls: Whilst not technically an issue with a property, snow and ice can make sidewalks, driveways, and stairs slippery, increasing the risk of falls. To prevent accidents, make sure to shovel and salt your sidewalks and stairs, and consider installing handrails for added stability.
- Power outages: Winter storms can bring strong winds, ice, and heavy snow, which can knock down power lines and cause power.
Take Care of Your Home During the Winter Months
As discussed above, we can see many problems that can occur when the weather turns. The severity of any damage will be determined by the extremity of any weather conditions. For the best deals on home services, check out the reputed companies on SpotDif.
Thomas Kupai is a Specialist in Home Services for Spotdif. He helps customers find the best deal on home services.
Tom is an inventive problem solver and has a knack for finding creative solutions to difficult problems. He loves his work at Spotdif, where he helps customers find the best deal on home services. Tom takes great pride in his work and always puts the needs of others first.
He is a creative thinker who enjoys coming up with new ways to save people money. He takes pride in his work and loves helping others find what they need at a price they can afford. When he’s not working, Thomas enjoys spending time with his family and friends. He is an avid reader and loves learning new things.
The latest news
Is the UK in a recession? Here’s how you can protect your assets
In these uncertain economic times, many of us find ourselves wondering about the state of the UK’s financial health. With […]
Home insurance: how does it work?
Home insurance is a type of insurance policy that covers a private residence. You pay premiums to cover a variety […]